Monday, September 14, 2015

Taming The To-Do List {P31OBS Week 1}

"Ever just wish the world would stop for a day so you could catch up?"

When I read this in the email from the Proverbs 31 Ministries advertising their Fall online Bible study, I was immediately intrigued. I would LOVE an off day to catch up on my never ending to-do list. I feel like no matter what I get done in a day...it's never enough. I can't celebrate the achievements I do cross off the list, because I'm too focused on the items that got left behind. I'm so overwhelmed with my busy work that I tend to forget my best work. The items I tend to focus on throughout the day definitely do not align with my priorities...so what does that mean? I signed up for the study within minutes of receiving the email...and then I did the unthinkable. I emailed a bunch of ladies that I work with at LSU and invited them to do the study with me. To my delight, several jumped on board...and away we went with 'Taming the To-Do List" by Glynnis Whitwer.


I've never done an online study before but this has been a breeze! Each day I receive an email with either a video or blog post to supplement the readings. Each Monday I receive an outline of a proposed study schedule and each Wednesday I receive an action item that coordinates with the readings. I've been doing my readings during my lunch break and since the weather has been so amazing, outside...and it has been beyond refreshing! The best part has been the fabulous conversations at the office coffee pot with the other ladies doing the study. While I shouldn't be rejoicing that other women have the same challenges and insecurities that I do...I kind of am! It's just so nice to know you aren't alone!

Now, the first three chapters, I could have written myself! I've been making notes in my book and I've actually written "YES! PREACH! I'm SO guilty of this! HA!" I've been underlining and staring so many things...it's definitely been hitting home...hard.

So far, we have focused on procrastination...which I never realized is something I'm quite successful at doing...and the various reasons why we procrastinate. I literally murder to-do lists each week. I'm knocking items off left and right. But, after really evaluating those items, I'm realizing those are the easiest items on the list while the large and sometimes much more important items get pushed to the next week...week after week after week. Talk about ground breaking! I've been focusing on quantity over quality. 

If anyone were to ask what my priorities are, I would immediately respond with faith, family, self, community. But, my list of "to-dones" don't necessarily line up with my priorities...so why? Over-commitment issues, people-pleasing issues, resistance to anything uncomfortable, dependency on emails/texts/social media and the crazy need to respond immediately which causes me to shift my focus...the list goes on! 

I'm so looking forward to diving into more of the book to learn about what I can do to better match my to do list to my priorities! I wanted to start sharing my journey with this study to, selfishly, help me absorb the lessons more deeply but also in the hopes that I can encourage anyone currently in the same boat. Being Type-A is just exhausting and, at times, completely debilitating. I was desperate for a change and, after much prayer, discovered this study that has already been so refreshing! If you aren't really interested, please be patient with me...it will be 8 weeks of sharing! ;)

"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5




No comments:

Post a Comment