Monday, December 28, 2015

Vegetarian Taco Stuffed Peppers



I recently started following "Tasty" on Facebook. For some reason, the videos both intrigue and relax me. Weird, I know...but I love them. I saw a recipe the other day that I knew would be a hit in my home. The Henrys love tacos...in fact, we have a weekly taco night. So, I was fairly confident that Taco Stuffed Peppers would kill. So I took notes and made some vegetarian tweaks. Enjoy!



Ingredients

4 bell peppers *you'll definitely have enough filling for more if necessary
1 package of tofu (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of rice (cooked)
1 cup of Mexican shredded cheese (plus more for garnish)
Taco Seasoning
Olive Oil
Guacamole (for garnish)
Sour Cream (for garnish)

Directions

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees while you remove the tops and insides of your bell peppers. Rinse the peppers, place in a baking dish, and bake for 20 minutes.


While those bake, heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil over medium heat for your tofu. I like to squish mine a little while is cooks so it isn't so perfectly cubed.


Toss in your taco seasoning and let cook for a few more minutes. My kiddos don't like things too spicy, so I didn't use a ton of taco seasoning. Be your own judge!


Move your tofu to the perimeter of your pan and toss in your onion and garlic. 


Once your onions begin to look translucent and nicely sauted, toss in your black beans.


Let your beans get thoroughly heated and then toss in your rice.


After a few more minutes, toss in your diced tomatoes.



Lastly, toss in one cup of your shredded cheese.


Once your cheese has fully melted, remove from heat and remove your bell peppers from the oven. Stuff your peppers with the deliciously smelling mixture and top with more cheese!


Bake for another 15 minutes. Remove and let cool before plating it up!


I topped with a spoonful each of guacamole and sour cream...then sprinkled on even more cheese!


This dish was delicious and will be added to our list of regulars! Chris and I both tore it up....while Harrison and Lily picked at it. Lily said she liked it "a little" and basically ate the black beans and cheese! I tried to get a picture of her trying it but they were all blurry and she had her eyes closed in all of them! ;)

*The original recipe called for a pound of ground beef and a can of corn. I bet the corn was delicious...we just didn't have any in our pantry!








No comments:

Post a Comment