Thursday, October 1, 2015

Taming The To-Do List {P31OBS Week 2}

"The Lord says, 'I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name." 
Psalm 91:14


Oh wedding season, how you drain me at times! I've tried to dedicate my lunch breaks to catching up on my readings for this study, but I've been falling behind. Thankfully, I'm surrounded by amazing woman at work that continually encourage me to keep moving...even if it is as a slower pace! So, week 2...wow! Each chapter this week has completely hit home...which is both reassuring and terrifying.

In chapter 4, we addressed the price we pay for over-committing our time or procrastinating various tasks. Just as there is a price to our bad decisions, there is a price to good decisions too. She uses a great example that completely correlates to a goal of mine: If I say yes to reading my Bible every morning than I must say no to something like sleeping in a few more minutes. She mentions that if we want to be sincere followers of Jesus we have to put Him first in our lives and the cost of not doing so is just too high. She continues to explain that these costs of our decisions can be costs to our character, calling, unmet potential, and health. So many of her examples felt like pages torn out of my personal story. I have the talent to justify any decision, good or bad, with notions of what I deserve or "need".  I get so overwhelmed due to over-committing, that I tend to put off the hard projects until I have to push through them. I white lie about progress so others don't get a sense of me being overwhelmed because I put way too much value on my "to-dones" than I should. Too often have I equated "I don't have the time to do that" as an admittance of weakness. All of this leads to unnecessary stress that can seriously affect health...and has affected my health. Just so uncool! This biggest "aha" moment of the chapter was when she mentioned that the greatest cost any of us can pay is in our relationships...first with God and then with those we love. Oh, how true this is! I will kill myself to get tasks done...even if it means putting off the time I had dedicated to reading my Bible or going to church or even spending time with my family. Seeing those words in front of me was the nudge I needed to make a change! We must prioritize God and people over everything! I love that!

In chapter 5, she busted so many of the myths we tell ourselves. I just mentioned how I can justify any decision...and she tore my reasons down! I work better under pressure...I'll feel more like it tomorrow...I'm too busy to get that done...I'VE GOT THIS! Oh no, I've said all of these and more! True procrastination involves a voluntary delay of something we could do but chose not to...period. I could do all of my tasks strategically or methodically, but I chose not to because I'm too consumed with something unimportant that I shouldn't have agreed to do in the first place! Because of this chapter, I've started making a list of what my actual priorities are and the tasks that directly correlate with those priorities. If I have time to do more after, great...if not, oh well.

Chapter 6 wasn't my favorite because it was the least relevant for me. It was all about overcoming fears. She talks about fear of failure...and I do have a fear of failure and a fear of the loss of control, but it isn't entirely debilitating. I don't think my underlying reasons for procrastinating tasks is due a fear. She continues to explain misplaced identity and I can admit that I placed a huge star next to this portion. I do place too much of my identity on results...even bad ones. If I stumble, I label myself clumsy. If I make a mistake, I label myself stupid. If my house is too dirty, I label myself pathetic. Even if its temporarily, that label is there...and it never feels good. What's worse...that negative labels always trumps any positive labels I give myself..always. I love how she transitioned next to mention that only one label really matters...as His chosen and beloved child. (John 1:12).

So many truth bombs this week...and based on the titles of the chapters of week 3...I think there are more truth bombs ahead! Loving this study...even if it is making me feel a tad bit vulnerable!

No comments:

Post a Comment